Monday, September 26, 2011

The Ladies Aid Society



Toronto, Ontario
July 25h, 1903.

Since our Honored Majesty's demise earlier this year, our chapter of Ladies Aid donned black for six months for every meeting of our chapter. I am glad to see the end of our darkness, for although we were free throughout the other days, I cannot think positively in black.

Are not our chapters about the positive? Shall we not help others and bring a positive light into their lives? I have no creativity in black. I do like the dark midnight color for solemnity or elegance. In celebration (or protest, I neither know which), I shall wear white: Soft, flowy delicious white! And pink, my rich rose colored hat is luscious.
I ordered it from Sears Roebuck end of a year past, and finished it with a matching bow arrangement last year.

While my white chiffon is several years ago fashion, it is more than suitable wear for a Ladies Aid meeting. I had Miss Crembly make the dress about five years ago.
I fancied the dress after having seen the portrait of Lady Agnew (1892) by Artist Sargent. Her dress was blue, but I thought white was desirable and I had Miss Crembly made a few alterations.

Well, the buggy has arrived, I shall write a full report upon my return.



***

My own dress was very simple this year, I simply re-used the wedding dress that we used under the "Gone with the Wind Dress" last year. This was the best find, for $6 dollars, and to think I nearly didn't buy it!

The loose and flowy dress came in around 1892 (as seen in the above painting), and continued throught to 1905. It was not as popular, as trends changed frequently, however the design was present. Here is a picture from 1905.

And of course my dress for the Victorian Festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment