Sunday, September 11, 2011

~The Formal Dinner Party~

Toronto, Canada

Saturday Evening, August 31st 1901

Tonight, we aspire to host a dinner party for several couples in our popular circles. I have attired the dinning hall this afternoon with late August blossoms and lighted the candles. Our new electric bulbs are too harsh for this event, the soft glow of the candelabra must certainly suit.

I instructed cook as to our menu at the end of last week, we are to have broiled chicken, mashed potatoes, succotash, cauliflower, green long beans, garden toss salad, plum sauce, and white rolls. For dessert we are have sponge cake, ice cream, peaches, and coffee.

Normally, I would enjoy assisting in dinner preparations, I simply love the Enterprising Housekeeper. Yet tonight, I must prepare to entertain. I plan to wear my new brown & cranberry silk gown with the square cut Spanish rubies. Financier Henry and Mary Pellet are honored guests tonight, I imagine he will be speaking of his elaborate Chateau he plans to build soon. I dare say he is fond of Spanish elegance as he speaks of calling his masion Casa Loma.

Well, I must hasten downstairs, for I hear the door. . .
***
This is an original, I am not sure as to the date, but it was early 1900s. The Dinner Party dress design was based on these three looks, right (no date) and left below (1901). Also, note the similar design used in the Titanic (I read that this dress was designed after the picture at right). Also, a trending evening gown style for 1901-1903.




***

The Formal Dinner Party
Dress

1 comment: