Tuesday, September 20, 2011

~Afternoon Tea~


Niagara Region, NY

Saturday, May 18th 1839

Here sit I and how enthralled! I have received a missive from my dear mother's sister in England. She writes in hope of our well being, and of the latest notion, that being of taking tea in the afternoon.
"Duchess Anna Maria Stanhope has introduced to ladies of nobility this delightful occasion. Afternoon Tea mainly consists of small dainties, savories, scones with preserves - and of course, tea. I am told this diversion is of immense popularity in the cottage country, as the Duchess frequently entertained in this manner. Ah, my dear, I was trilled to discover I too was the favored recipient of an invitation...."

I have found my aunt's letter to be an inspiration, for Duchess Stanhope is a lady in waiting to Her Majesty Queen Victoria. I believe our Loyalist heritage runs deep in my veins. To attend Afternoon Tea with a lady in waiting to her Majesty! I am inspired to extend invitation to my own dear friends, we shall have biscuits (my aunt calls these scones), and other morsels. Perhaps, father will bring some Turkish Delight, a new sweet from far away .

I shall wear my new spring dress and starched lace collar. My bonnet is newly decorated with pink roses and crochet lace. Accented with a green shawl, and my rose colored gloves, my garment shall be complete. I must now hasten pen the invitations....
***
I believe this dress was the hardest dress I have ever made. The dress turned out well, I received excellent assistance and advice on the finishing touches of the dress from Colleen, Willow, and Danielle. We made several alterations from my original design as the arms turned out too long, and we placed on the finishing touches as well.
The collar too was a work in progress, yet the dress turned out lovely.

I patterned the dress after these designs (the far right is 1839).
Bonnet credits go entirely to Colleen, as her was the artist behind decorating the bonnet.

I believe the dress came out looking like it was from the Victorian era.
I had to use a 1855 pattern for the sleeves and bodice, (like in left picture.)
The material is two flat bed sheets, a double for the back of the dress and a twin for the front.

And here is the dress!






No comments:

Post a Comment