Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Easter Bonnets


~Easter Bonnets Herald The Coming of Spring~

I will only post a small this time, as I am, quite pres
sed for time. For the last two weeks or so, I have been working on a few bonnets, both are from the Regency or Early Victorian era.


The first was of earthen straw. (Earthen Straw is straw of greenish browns rather than
a yellow or white straw.) I decorated the bonnet with a brown satin rose and several smaller rose buds. The rose and buds, I made by hand.
The bonnet ties with a filmy green tie that is edged in gold tassel. The inside of the bonnet is lined with white, and around the crown is a thin band of green embroidered-edging with a green velvet ribbon thread through it.
The bonnet dos lay flat when untied. If worn loosely, it stands out much like the picture from Pride & Prejudice seen in the upper left corner. The bonnet can also be worn tighter, lik
e the lower left picture.



For the second bonnet, I wanted to go with a more fun and spring-like look. I chose to make this bonnet blue. I found these amazing roses -- made of foam!
They are so beautiful and fun to work with. (Very soft too). This bonnet retains its shape, but also can lay flat. I accented the
blue with one pink rose, just needed that last finishing touch. The bonnet ties with a shimmer ribbon-like tie ( to match the shimmer in the crown.) The crown is made of rows of plastic straw and cloth, intertwined with clear plastic thread, that gives a shimmer to the bonnet. The vertical brim is covered in pale blue cloth, detailed in a floral pattern of small silver sequins. ~Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I hope you put some pictures of one of you girls modeling it soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) Hopefully, I can acquire some soon.

    ReplyDelete