Friday, September 17, 2010

Sweet Simplicity

1829 "Going Away Dresses", these dresses would remain in style for a couple of years.
By 1836, the latest styles were flouncy and exaggerated.
However, for some the change in fashion was a slow change. To best represent the era,
we have included an regency era outfit.
Sweet Simplicity

September 1836, Upper Canada

Princess Victoria’s rumored ascension in England will signify great change. Such a young queen, barely 18 I have heard. Rumours of her wardrobe are filtering down though the countries; just this past epistle sent over from my sister in Hampshire County confirms new styles are in high demand. Some of these fashions are taking wing on our continent. I’m afraid I’ll be long in joining the latest fashions. Money is scarce these days with the harvest not being what it was or should be. T’will be no new dress for me this harvest. Yesteryear’s fashions will have to do.

*****

I believe Danielle's dress was by far the easiest dress --many thanks to Naomi, Kelsey, & Brenna for loan of their dress. It is perfect. I tried to get a close up of the embroidery work. Besides the dress, we added a gilded ribbon for a sash and the string of pearls. Thank you, Danielle, for posting the initial update of this post! ~Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment