Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Green Dress


1862, Michigan, two years into the War Between the States...

Underground Railroad Operation.

A Green Dress

“Every day, more and more slaves are escaping into Canada. Father says we play a significant role towards abolition of slavery. Tonight, we are to hold a grand party: the railway runs tonight. No one must know. I will wear my new gown. Mother had my dress made in fashion with recent gowns of First Lady, and by first lady I do refer to Mrs. President Lincoln.

I am looking forward to this evening, but I know I shall be quaking inside as my distraction will save lives. Tonight, we will be dancing, as if no trouble in the world invades our minds, while the lantern of the railroad moves on.”

* * *


Mary Todd Lincoln, First Lady, 1862

The design for this dress has been the green picnic dress off the movie, Gone With the Wind. I found it interesting that this particular dress is a combination of two of Mrs. Lincoln's gowns. These gowns were photographed in 1862.

The green picnic dress off Gone With the Wind is definitely a classic icon. When Sarah first mentioned this dress as a reference of what she would like to wear to the festival, I was thrilled. I love a challenge and this was a challenge.

As mentioned in an earlier article, the first obstacle was the material. Once I had the material figured out (see below article), I took the sleeves off the wedding dress I had bought last year. I also took the high neck out. After many designs, I decided to make a pinafore to go over the wedding dress.

I cut the sharpie colored curtain. Two thirds of the curtain made the skirt of the pinafore.

The top edge of the curtain (where the rod would slide through) made the ruffle and the rest made the top of the pinafore.

From the 1 meter of green cloth, I made an extra long sash. Green ribbons from another 4 for 1 sale added the finishing touches. As you can see, its not exactly the same as the Gone With the Wind dress, but I am excited as to how close it turned out.

I had the sunbonnet from another outfit when I was Queen Victoria at the local museum. You can check out my portfolio slideshow to see more on that outfit.

We did have to use the 4 leaf clover scarf for the bonnet, nothing else looked right. The 4 leaf clover scarf is a gift from my Grandma from her recent trip to Ireland. The color is perfect!




No comments:

Post a Comment