Sunday, September 19, 2010

Flowers from the Meadow


September, 1837, Upper Canada...

“The journey of my dear cousin to visit the Colonies has indeed been revealing. England and Canada stand worlds apart, quite literally. She speaks of Queen Victoria as an ensample to all. A young queen, a large responsibility, and a regal wardrobe! My dress is plain beside her gowns, I have the latest conventions, but mine is a country dress. A dress from the meadow.”

****

1835 Winter Dress, painting. 1838 Spring Dresses, catalog.

Credit for this dress goes completely and entirely to Willow. She surprised me with this dress upon my return home from work one day. I had left the dress on the Sewing Lady (see before picture). When I returned she had the finished design all pinned on the Sewing Lady, she had designed it to match my yellow evening gloves.

To achieve the yellow puff sleeves, she took out the inner seam, and rolled the sleeves up. She also made a hoop and included an underskirt as well. As you can see, the dress falls within the 1835-1838 era. I had limited resources for this early period -- at least picture wise. We have dated it 1837 because this is the first official year of the Victorian Period. Many thanks to Auntie Margaret for the gift of her bridesmaid dress!




No comments:

Post a Comment